Materials for the rig:
- 2 old cell phone batteries (found in the garbage) that serve as a counterweight
- A piece of metal (from an old photocopier) that constitutes the turning blade
- A fan motor from some sort of broken power supply I found in the UdeM garbage
- A piece of plastic that makes the base (also from the photocopier)
- A plastic poster edge (the things used to hold paper posters) that I found in the garbage (it is used to cover the sharp edges of the blade).
- A heavy metal block that stabilizes the contraption (since it tends to oscillate a bit when it's turning)
- A cable with a switch from an IKEA lamp I found in the garbage
- Lots of cable ties
- A small breadboard (it came with an electronics magazine)
- 6 red high power LEDs
- 6 1 k Ohms resistors
- A 9V battery w/ battery older
The LEDs are directly connected to the pins 2 to 7 of the Arduino and their current is limited by the resistors.
The entire circuit is powered by the 9V battery.
So far I have done some simple patterns for the display and I'll upload the code soon (it still needs some polish)
I expect to add more LEDs to the design as soon as I get the patterns and the overall code working fine.